Wednesday 7 March 2012

My Favourite Korean Dish

'Ja jian myun', 'ja jiang myun' or some other form of spelling is a Korean black bean noodle that I love.  It's the one dish that I almost always order if it's on the menu.  According to my Korean friends it's originally a Chinese dish that the Korean adapted and called their own so it's difficult to find it in restaurants in Korea. 
I wanted to try to make this at home so thanks to Google, I found this blog.  It's fantastic since it seems to have real authentic recipes and she also has video of her cooking various dishes so it's pretty much a no fail way of cooking up her recipes.  
A few changes that I made: 
  • Substituted the pork belly with ground turkey since it's healthier
  • Substituted turnips for carrots since I don't usually eat turnips and didn't want to have left over unused turnips
  • I garnished it with green onions instead of sliced cucumbers. 
There are a number of Korean supermarkets in the Bay Area so finding the black bean paste was really easy.  The dish was easy to make and delicious!


Here is a link to the recipe: Ja Jang Myun