Sunday 18 March 2012

Knitted Butterfly Cup Cozy

Last year my sister bought my other sisters and I (she forgot to get one for herself) a cup cozy from some trade show.  I didn't think I would use it very often since I try to use my travel mug as much as I can and because I hardly use the cardboard cozies anyway.  Nonetheless, I threw it in my purse thinking I should bring it with me wherever as opposed to remembering to bring it out with me.  It worked.  I find that I use it a lot more than I anticipated and yes, it does make me feel better about not using a cardboard one.


Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what to do with all my leftover yarn from projects and I figure cup cozies are the way to go.  I've been meaning to try out different stitch patterns as well and I figure this would be a low commitment project if I didn't like it.  It was very simple since I've knitted in a round using double pointed needles.  It took me about 2-3 hours total (watching the tv while knitting probably prolonged it).  I really like the little 'butterflies" since it's not a common stitch.



Needle: size 5 double pointed needles
Gauge: 5.5 stockinette stitches an inch

Pattern:
CO 47 stitches (the butterfly pattern calls for multiples of 10 + 7)
Row 1 - 3: *k1tbl, p1 to the end. Remember to mark the end of a row with a stitch marker

Butterfly Pattern:
Row 4: k1, *k5, sl5 wyif; rep from *, end k6
Row 5: k
Row 6: Rep Row 4
Row 7: k
Row 8: Rep Row 4
Row 9: k8, *insert right needle over and under the bottom of the 3 slipped strands to the top, knit the next stitch on the left needle but before slipping the stitch off the left needle, bring the right needle back behind the 3 strands then slip the stitch off the left needle.  It's hard to explain in words so here is a GREAT YouTube video on how to do it:  Butterfly Stitch; k9 rep from *, end with 8k
Row 10: k1, *sl5 wyif, k5; rep from *, end sl5 wyif, k1
Row 11: k
Row 12: Rep Row 10
Row 13: k
Row 14: Rep Row 10
Row 15: k3, *form the butterfly as you did in Row 9,  p9; rep from *, end last rep p3

Repeat Rows 4-15 once so you have 4 butterfly rows

Row 16 - 18: *k1tbl, p1 repeat from * to the end

Bind off as you would normally but using Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off every 3 or 4 stitches.  This makes the top very elastic to accommodate the width of the cup. 


Note: Since the stitch pattern wasn't for knitting in a round, there's a section of the cozy that won't alternate (see the picture below).  I'm not too picky about it so it doesn't bother me but thought I'd give you the heads up. 



Abbreviations:
k - knit
p- purl
k1tbl - knit 1 through the back loop
sl5 wyif - slip 5 stitches with the yarn in front