Wednesday 29 February 2012

Doggie Leg Warmers!


A few months ago (yes, I'm late to posting) I was asked by a friend to make doggie leg warmers for Mia, her Chihuahua/Min Pin Mix dog.  I didn’t have a pattern but I've made leg warmers before so I figured it wouldn't be difficult, just a lot smaller.  I kept it simple with 1×1 ribbing ( knit through the back loop 1 and purl 1) for the ends and a stockinette stitch for the body of the leg warmer.  It took about a day to complete.
Needles: 3.75mm (US 5) double pointed needles (dpns)
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Soft Pink
Gauge: 7 stitches to an inch. Yes, I knit pretty tightly.



Mia is pretty small weighing about 12 pounds so she has skinny legs.  For her front two legs, I casted on 24 stitches, ribbed for 7 rounds, half way down the length I wanted, I decreased by knitting together 2 stitches (k2tog) twice on opposite ends of the round and then ribbed another 7 rows towards the end.  The total length was 4.5 inches. 
Then to end off, I crocheted small purple flowers for the front two leg warmers for fun. 
Here's Mia. I couldn’t get a really good picture of Mia since it was hard to keep her still so a bit of her ears are cut off in the picture.  She didn’t seem to mind having them on so I’ll take that as confirmation that she likes it. :)