Wednesday 14 March 2012

Cooking - About this much, about that much

My mom is a great cook and I've never really fully appreciated until I was about to move to California.  Whenever I asked my mom for a recipe, she always gave me "rough" ingredient measurements of the  which being somewhat new to cooking didn't help me very much.  It was always "about this much soy sauce" or "about that much" as she poured the oyster sauce into the wok.

I find that somehow that approximation of sauces, spices and other seasonings has seeped into my mind.  When I cook my mother's recipes now, I hardly take out the measuring spoons/cups.  So far so good and I think it has encouraged me to taste the food as a cook.  (Yes, I used to hardly do that).

I made my mother's eggplant & ground meat stir fry the other day.  It's a quick and easy eggplant recipe, which I don't eat very often.

My Mother's Eggplant & Ground Meat Stir Fry

Ingredients (again below measurements are estimates):
  • 1lb ground meat -  I use ground turkey but my mom uses pork. My mom usually adds a teaspoon of fish sauce to the meat for some extra flavour but I didn't since I didn't have any.
  • 1 small - medium sized Japanese eggplant (the long skinny eggplant) but into 1-2 inch pieces about an inch thick
  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 1 small tomator
  • 2-3 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
  • 4 tbsp of oyster sauce - more may be needed.  Taste it as you cook!
Instructions:
  • Sautee garlic and onions in vegetable oil until a bit translucent
  • Add the meat and oyster sauce
  • Once the meat is cooked remove everything from the pan and set aside.
  • Sautee the eggplant with vegetable oil.  If it's too dry add a bit of water. 
  • When the eggplant is half way cooked, add the tomatoes and a couple tablespoons of oyster sauce
  • Once the eggplant is cooked, add the meat and mix everything together. 
  • Serve with rice